We at Hey Iceland are active in participating in the development of Iceland’s tourism industry and recognize our responsibility in being part of the solution. We are therefore always seeking ways to improve the impact we have on our surroundings and performances in cooperation with the tourist industry, our members, employees, and partners.
By choosing Hey Iceland, you are supporting local business and making a positive contribution to rural communities in Iceland. The travel agency was founded by farmers in 1980, the Icelandic Farm Holidays Association, and is still largely owned by the farmers themselves, meaning that profits stay local!
View our Sustainability Policy
Hey Iceland is certified by Vakinn
Hey Iceland is certified by Vakinn, the official quality and environmental system in Iceland, which means an annually independent evaluation of all aspects of the travel agencies business practices.
Tips for responsible travel in Iceland
Make your holiday count! We encourage responsible travel in rural areas allowing our guests to get closer to nature, culture, and wildlife. Below are our top green tips to make your Iceland trip more eco-friendly and rewarding at the same time.
- Look for environmentally certified companies and products
- Consider traveling outside of the summer months
- Reduce your carbon footprint by renting an e-car, walking, cycling or using public transport when available
- Respect the often fragile natural landscape and wildlife of Iceland, stay on marked trails and do not drive off-road
- Stay for longer at smaller locally owned accommodation in remoter rural areas
- Buy local food and handicrafts, many of our members offer local produce
- Do not litter and recycle as much as possible
- Carry a reusable container to fill up with fresh Icelandic spring water straight from the tap
- Be aware of hot and cold water areas, in cold water areas hot water has to be used more sparsely than in areas where geothermal water is plentiful
- When staying two nights or more at one place, please notice if there is a sign asking you to hang the towel on the rack if you wish to use it again
- Our members have good knowledge about the local area, do not hesitate to ask if you are curious to know more about the area or local culture
- Be aware of the dangerous situations when travelling in Iceland and we encourage you to read Enjoy Iceland but take care and Stay Safe.
- Provide feedback and tell us about your experience. We welcome suggestions on how we can do better
Take the Icelandic Pledge - in cooperation
with Inspired by Iceland
Be a responsible tourist and agree the following to respect Iceland´s nature:
- I pledge to be a responsible tourist.
- When I explore new places, I will leave them as I found them.
- I will take photos to die for, without dying for them.
- I will follow the road into the unknown, but never venture off the road.
- And I will only park where I am supposed to.
- When I sleep out under the stars I´ll stay within a campsite.
- And when nature calls, I won´t answer the call on nature.
- I will be prepared for all weathers, all possibilities and all adventures.
Yes, I would like to agree to take the Icelandic Pledge!