LATEST ICELAND TRAVEL UPDATES - CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19)
Hey Iceland's response to the COVID-19 situation
Latest update: April 7, 2020
We realise that the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus may leave you feeling concerned about travelling to Iceland, so we want to take a moment to reassure you that your safety and well-being remains our absolute top priority.
Hey Iceland has implemented a number of precautionary measures in response to the outbreak, from adjusting our booking terms for individual travellers to implementing a strict cleaning schedule for our office. Please be assured that our team is working hard and we are monitoring the situation and developments closely with the health and governmental authorities here in Iceland.
We want you to book your Iceland trip with confidence so we follow all developments of the virus closely.
- Customers travelling in April: We offer you the opportunity to change your travel dates for a later time. Please contact us and tell us about your new travel dates.
- Customers travelling in May: We offer you the chance to change your travel dates for a later time, but please be patient with us while we finish helping customers with more immediate travel plans.
- Customers travelling from June onwards: We are currently optimistic that your travel plans can go according to schedule. Please keep an eye on this Travel Update page while we monitor the situation.
- We will continue to provide necessary updates and information regarding travel in Iceland
- We maintain regular contact with the Chief Epidemiologist and the Icelandic Directorate of Health and follow their guidance and instructions at any given time.
- If you have questions or concerns about your upcoming Hey Iceland tour or accommodation, please contact us. Our travel experts are here to help and answer all your questions.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
We continue to monitor the situation and provide regular updates. Below you will find answers to some of the most frequent questions Hey Iceland customers are asking right now.
My trip isn't scheduled until later in the year. I'm still worried. What should I do?
Please know that we will continue to provide travel updates on this page. We encourage you to reach out to your Hey Iceland travel consultant if you have any questions or comments. We are here for you.
What if I want to make a booking for the future?
We know that this will all blow over, hopefully sooner rather than later. We are excited to plan the perfect Iceland trip with you for later this summer, fall, winter or even for 2021. You can book your trip with confidence with our flexible booking terms.
If I have more questions, can I contact you?
Hey Iceland is here for you. We understand that you may have concerns or worries and we welcome you to contact us with any and all questions you may have.
What happens to the moneyI've paid, if your company goes bankrupt because of the virus?
We understand why you may be worried about that. Hey Iceland is a fully licenced travel agency/tour operator, licenced by the Icelandic Tourist Board fulfilling all legal obligations and have provided a declaration of guarantee through a bank in the event of bankruptcy or cessation of the travel agency's operations, according to Tourism Administration Act no. 73/2005 in relation to package tours. This means that we have insolvency insurance and you can book with us with ease of mind.
FLEXIBLE BOOKING TERMS
We know that you might have concerns about booking your trip to Iceland right now. We are excited to welcome you to our country and are eager to help you plan the perfect trip for the right time. That is why we have reviewed our cancellation policy temporarily, to make it easier for you to book with confidence.
The following policy applies to new bookings made after 1st of March 2020 with departures from March 7th– September 30th, 2020. The policy is also valid for all bookings made prior with departures from March 7th – September 30th, 2020:
For individual travellers (FIT) on self-drive tours:
- More than 7 days before the scheduled tour: No cancellation fee
- You can also choose to get 80% refund and use 20% as a credit balance for a new trip at a different time. If you choose to do that, you get a FREE activity/day tour for your new trip.*
- 7 days or less before the scheduled tour: 20% cancellations fee
- We keep 20% but you can use it as credit balance for a new tour later for yourself, your friends or family in the next 12 months.
- 48 hours or less before the scheduled tour: 100% cancellation fee
*For a FREE activity, you can choose between a horseriding tour, whale watching, guided walking tour in Reykjavík or a boat tour on a glacier lagoon.
For individuals travellers who have booked single night accommodations – changing dates, type or place of accommodation:
- More than 3 days before check-in: 20% cancellation fee.
- Changing dates: No cancellation fee but if the price for the new dates is higher, you will be charged the difference.
- You can use the 20% as a deposit for your next booking
- 2 days or less before check-in: 100% cancellation fee.
For individual travellers (FIT) on guided scheduled Hey Iceland tours (multi-day):
- No cancellation fee until 4 weeks prior to departure.
We look forward to welcoming you to Iceland. Don’t hesitate to contact Hey Iceland email@example.com if you have further questions.